Angel Island Historic Marker; Tiburon, CA. Photo by duluoz cats/Flickr (Noncommercial Use Permitted with Attribution/No Derivative Works).
Angel Island Historic Marker
In 1775, the packet San Carlos, first known Spanish ship to enter San Francisco Bay, anchored in this cove while her commander, Lieut. Juan Manuel de Avala, directed the first survey of the Bay. Avala named this island Isla de Los Angeles. The island has been a Mexican rancho, U.S. military post, Bay defense site, and both a quarantine and immigration station.
CALIFORNIA REGISTERED HISTORICAL LANDMARK NO. 529
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the city of Tiburon.
September 26, 1970