Tucumcari Marker

New Mexico Historic Marker

tucumcariHistoricMarkerNM.jpg

Tucumcari, New Mexico Historic Marker

Tucumcari, New Mexico Historic Marker; erected by New Mexico Historic Preservation Division.  Photo by Jimmy Emerson, DVM/Flickr (Noncommercial Use Permitted with Attribution/No Derivative Works).

Marker Inscription

TUCUMCARI

Population 6,765 - Elevation 4,096

This area was troubled by both Comanches and Comancheros, New Mexicans who traded illegally with the Indians, until the military campaigns of 1874. With the coming of the railroad in 1898, the small community of Liberty, eight miles to the north, moved here to form the nucleus of Tucumcari, which was incorporated in 1908. The Rock Island-Southern Pacific Depot built in 1927 is an outstanding example of a Mission Revival style depot and recently restored.

Official scenic historic marker erected by New Mexico Historic Preservation Division.
New Mexico