Historic Scottsville Marker

Virginia Historic Marker

HistoricScottsvilleMarker.jpg

 Historic Scottsville historical marker

Historic Scottsville;  historical marker in Albemarle County, Virginia.  Photo by Jimmy Emerson, DVM/Flickr (Noncommercial Use Permitted with Attribution/No Derivative Works).

Marker Inscription

In 1745 old Albemarle County was organized at Scott’s landing, its first county seat, here on the great horseshoe bend of the James River. In 1818 the town was incorporated as Scottsville, beginning in 1840 it flourished as the chief port above Richmond for freight and passenger boats on the James River and Kanawha Canal. It played a vital role in the opening up of the west. The 1840s and ’50s were its golden era.

VIRGINIA HISTORIC LANDMARKS COMMISSION 1976 (Marker Number GA-36)
Virginia