NY Historic Marker Program
The New York State Historic Marker Program began in 1926, administered by the State Education Department; an initiative to identify, interpret, and help preserve local historic sites. Over 2,800 of the small, cast iron site markers were erected on the edge of highways statewide during this program (1926-1939).
A new State Historic Marker Program was established in the 1960's, but it was no longer considered safe to erect little historic signs along the edge of the highway. It was decided that funding would only be used for more detailed signs placed in rest areas with broadly written descriptions of regional history, providing a summary overview of New York state history.