Casa Grande Soil
Casa Grande soil is the unofficial representative soil of Arizona. The Casa Grande series was first identified in 1936. It is named after the city of Casa Grande and the nearby Casa Grande National Monument, home of a large earthen building constructed by the Hohokam Indians nearly 1,000 years ago. The Spanish words “Casa Grande” mean “Big House.” The Indians used irrigation to remove excess salts from Casa Grande soils and raised cotton, grain, and vegetables on these productive soils, much as farmers do today.